Position title: Materials Manager
Location: Lafayette Indiana
Reports to: Plant Manager
• Responsible for the materials functions that includes production planning, inventory management, shipping/receiving and customer service.
• Key leader in the collaborative relationship between engineering, manufacturing and assembly operations to ensure a quality process and product.
• Reviews and modifies the production plan, adjusts planning bills regularly, updates mix statistics and other master scheduling related issues in order to ensure that the customer delivery plan is met in the most efficient and cost-effective matter available.
• Timely management of delivery schedule plan, with an eye toward continuous improvement in existing practices.
• Review and correct bill of material and routing errors, nomenclature errors, and other scheduling related issues.
• Directs the receipts, storage and delivery of inventory in the plant; leadership of inventory process on regularly scheduled basis and provides leadership to meet inventory targets.
• Monitor obsolescence of inventory and make recommendations regarding disposition.
• Implement production control systems consistent with lean materials flow systems, including pull systems, kanban, line side delivery, and level scheduling.
• Foster use of SAP as a way to help manage our business.
• Set goals, coach and hold accountable materials direct reports.
• Coach and encourage direct reports to benchmark and implement material best practices to promote continuous improvement.
• Develop and Implement a plan to reduce freight costs.
• Develop and implement effective corrective actions when materials issues are identified.
• Facilitate joint scheduling process for both plants:
Education, Skills and Experience Required:
Education: B. S. Degree (Master’s preferred)
Experience: Minimum of eight years of Materials Management experience within large manufacturing & assembly environment. Experience in implementing lean production techniques in a manufacturing environment and Six Sigma Greenbelt status preferred. Experience within Automotive supplier preferred. SAP and/or ERP experience required. Experience with management of multiple supply base, internal and external required. Successful experience with inventory accuracy and efficiency. Ability to establish strong rapport with peer group and direct reports. Ability to lead change within established business environment for purpose of continuous improvement.
Additional Skills, Knowledge or Abilities (non-physical):
1. Verbal and written communication skills at all levels of the organization and with suppliers and customers.
2. Computer skills include SAP, Strong Excel & PowerPoint skills
3. Good presentation skills
Additional Skills, Knowledge or Abilities (physical)
1. Physical stamina to work long hours consecutively
2. Physical agility to reach and climb
3. Hearing proficiency