Senior Mechanical Designer / Checker NX (GM) – BIW Tooling Fixture
Required Qualifications, Knowledge & Skills:
Mechanical Design of BIW tooling, NX software: (No Product Designers / Engineers)
Mechanical Designer I, NX cad skills for Body Assembly, knowledge of leading auto makers (GM BOE and MD1) North American standards and specifications. Strong understanding of BA GEO and Fixture Tools for Framing, Bodyside Systems and Sub Assembly.
• Strong knowledge of auto assembly strategies (i.e. part flow within an assembly plant / Body Shop), vendor coordination (importing Weld Guns, End of Arm Tooling, etc.), work in model space and paper space, understand how a GEO and Respot Systems function.
• Develop detailed design drawings and specifications for mechanical equipment, dies/tools, and controls, using computer-assisted drafting (CAD) equipment.
• Review and analyze specifications, sketches, drawings, ideas, and related data to assess factors affecting component designs and the procedures and instructions to be followed.
• Modify and revise designs to correct operating deficiencies or to reduce production problems. Drive and understand customer specifications both corporate and plant and apply our standards for use in all aspects of mechanical designs.
• Modify existing 3D and 2D models for “Kits” and create new designs for simple and intermediate and complex systems. Develop Kit Sheet showing before and after.
• Understanding of customer specifications (corporate and plant), standards, and local and/or national.
• Strong Detail stack up and methodology and how it relates to machining and tool stack up.
• Coordinate and review with Technical Leaders, Project Engineers, Sr. Mechanical Engineers, and colleagues to maintain consistency within a given project, and or to resolve design or other problems.
• Computer knowledge of Windows, and Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.) and a high degree of competence with CAD platforms and associated application software.
• Work under minimal supervision, carries out a variety of moderately complex to complex design assignments, exercising considerable to extensive latitude in the use of initiatives and independent judgment.
• Prepares sketches or completes detail and layout drawings from verbal or written instructions on product or plant equipment.
• Works independently on the development of original designs or adaptations requiring specialized experience.
• May supervise lower-level drafters on some phases of design.
• 7+ years Mechanical Design and Engineering experience in Body Assembly and/or Powertrain or Associates Degree in Mechanical Technology or equivalent experience
• Ability to work independently and within teams
• Ability to travel domestically (5-20%) and internationally as project needs may require for technical support